Nootropics are a cognitive technology that includes some foods & supplements. The term was conceived from the Romanian psychologist and chemist, Corneliu Giurgea in 1972. Giurgea identified the main features of the nootropic profile to consist of the following:
- "Enhancement of learning acquisition" – Support working memory
- "Resistance to impairing agents" – Support healthy brain function
- "Facilitation of interhemispheric transfer of information" – Support cognitive function
- "Enhanced resistance to brain 'aggressions'" – Overall brain health
- "Increased tonic, cortico-subcortical 'control'" – Promotes focus and attention
- "Absence of usual pharmacological effects of neuro psychotropic drugs" – Safe for use
In short, Nootropics are brain enhancers that improve cognitive function and overall well-being. Every year, more research is released on the long-lasting effects of Nootropics but we are still at the infant stages of learning all the amazing benefits of Nootropics!
Click her to read more about Corneliu Giurgea’s study.